Sunday, February 28, 2010

At the Top of the Dial

It's funny that no matter how many online journals and blogs and websites I've had over the last few years, writing the opening or first post is always difficult. It's always awkward, like a job interview or first date, because you have this self-conscious urge to explain yourself and your intentions as much as possible in as little time as you can. Even if you know time will likely make those things quite clear.

This blog, unlike most of my others, actually has a purpose. Well, beyond the narcissistic one of most and the fan rantings and writings of others. Though to be honest, it wouldn't be far off to say that all of those things do play a part here as well.

But I'm getting off track.

And, oddly enough, that is the driving force behind this.

This is my attempt to get on track with the career in music journalism that I want. Instead of sitting around waiting for interships that may or may not happen right away, I decided to take matters into my own hands with a blog. The only problem was that I've tried in the past to have a blog about music and it quickly died. Mainly to my own forgetfulness, but also because I didn't have a focus for it. My thinking at the time basically amounted to, "Just write about whatever, whenever," and when you're someone like me, who needs a focus/goal, that kind of thinking just doesn't work. Hence, it died.

Now, I know some might be reading this and thinking, "Well, what makes this time so different then, genius?"

A plan. That's what.

Taking some vague inspiration from Julie & Julia/The Julie/Julia Project, I have decided to work my way through Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time List by writing at least two reviews a month for records contained in it. Also, seeing as how the list was compiled in November 2003, occassionally I'll include reviews of albums released since then that I think would be good contenders/inclusions should the list ever be revamped.

Now, I know given the amount of records in the list the chances of me ever finishing the list are really slim, but that's okay by me. The closer I get, the better, but it's not about finishing the list. I mean, really, who could? It's about the journey.

Here's hoping that it's a good one.

3 comments:

  1. I can't get this stupid machine to tell me how to subscribe just using my blogger account. *pouts*

    Holy crap, this idea is fascinating. *hugs* Best of luck, hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Glad it got fixed.

    And thank you! I need all the luck and patience I can get for this screwball idea.

    ReplyDelete