Monday, January 26, 2015

Grow up and out of it

I've decided to merge this project with my main blog Vinyl & Bubblegum. There are a handful of reasons for this change. The main reason is that I don't want to spread my content too thin and while some of my projects do need separate spaces I don't know that this particularly one really does.

When I initially conceived of a plan for V&B it was in sort of opposition to this blog. The idea being that this blog would have a more historical bent and V&B would focus on more modern or current works. However, as I've gotten more ideas for V&B that stark of a divide seems less necessary. Not to mention the idea of separating the modern from the history seems antithetical to V&B's central idea that such division doesn't make sense. Initially the big divide that led to that idea was the notion that artistry and being an audiophile is somehow mutually exclusive from loving a pop sensibility. Of course, the snobbery behind that notion also acts as the basis for the snobbery that says the only good music happened pre-1973 (or 85 or 93), so I wouldn't to implicitly agree with that notion by keeping the Sacred Texts of the medium away from the modern stuff.

Plus, let's be real, I haven't updated this blog in almost five years, despite continuing to work on many essays for it. I think I need a change of scenery to help facilitate moving on through the project. I'll be frank, I was never completely jazzed about the name and url for this blog and I'm definitely not now. I wouldn't say that alone kept me from updating here, but perhaps subconsciously it might have contributed. (That said, I might use Cover to Cover as a way of distinguishing album reviews on V&B.)

As for what happens the Pepper and Touch essays, they're already up at Vinyl & Bubblegum under the header and tag RS500. I'll keep this blog up for posterity, but this will likely be the last entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment